Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Molly the best rescued dog ever

Today I started some obediance training on my brother's dog.  Molly was dropped off by someone in the river bottoms by someone who obviously didn't realize the beautiful dog they had.  I do not understand how someone can just drop off a puppy and her mother with no food, shelter, or water.  Thankfully there are tender hearts out there like my brother Spencer's.  This pup had obvious abuse issues and was very skiddish near men.  A few times since bringing her home she has gotten off her leash and made her way to the neighbor's house and growled and barked him back into his house.  Fortunatly for the dog and my brother the neighbor knew him and knew it was his dog and called him to come get her.  I knew that something had to be done to keep her and everyone safe.  I deceided to train her.  I have trained my own dogs pretty good, they listen to about 95% of what I tell them.  They sit and wait to be told to eat, even if I leave the room.  I love animals and to think that this beautiful dog has 2 possible outcomes in life: 1. Get loose, scare or bite someone and get shot or 2. Someone who cares teaches her how to be a good dog.  She a a great dog who loves attention.  A little shy at first she came around to me very quickly. The first night I took her home to spend some time with her and kind of learn her personality, I must say she was very stubborn at first.  I let her off the leash as an experiment and she was gone, ran off to some big barking dogs chained up.  I like working dogs and I have taken several dog bites in suits.  I have been biten by several German Shepards, a Rottweiler, and Malinois to name a few, needless to say I know where I am not wanted.  My brave soul of a girlfriend walked right up to those barking K-9s and got Molly.  Today was really day 1 of Molly's training and she did great.  I taught her to sit the very first day I met her but that was easy.  I wanted to give her a quick test to see how quickly of a learner she was so I taught her to shake.  As I was walking her around the yard to teach her what is her's and what is other peoples properties I took advantage of a shade tree, knelt down and taught her to shake a paw in 10 minutes!  I was very excited to end that day on that accomplishment.  Some people may think that wasn't very long training, but for a dog to learn something new in 10 minutes that takes a lot of mental energy out of her she was ready to clunk out on me afterwards.  I am excited to post more as we progress in our training.  I say "our" training because I hope to build on this ability and potentially do it as a money making hobby.  Please follow our progress.

Thank You,
Elijah

1 comment:

  1. І like the ѵaluable info you proνіԁe to
    your articles. Ι ωill bookmark your ωeblоg and tаκe a look аt again hегe frequentlу.
    I'm somewhat certain I will be informed a lot of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the next!

    My blog post; facebook cuenta gratis

    ReplyDelete